Skip to content

History

It is supposed that the first house built in this place was by John C. Bishop, when he came into this beautiful valley in 1780. Mr. Bishop opened the first store, and that stood near the site of the present Friend’s meeting-house. The village first grew up on the west side of the river, but was afterwards changed to the corners. Mr. Bishop secured the opening of the so-called Shun pike, drawing the travel and the business from Hebron and from the south generally. The grist-mill is very old,—erected before 1800. There was also a saw-mill and fulling-mill, long since gone.

[slideshow]

About 1840 a woolen-mill was established in the place of an earlier hemp-mill, and it is now a knitting-mill. The water-power is regarded as very valuable. This village is connected by a stage-line daily to West Granville, and through to Comstock’s, uniting conveniently the two railroads. There has been a partial incorporation of this village for the purpose of protection from fire. Latterly, the friends of incorporation have been defeated by a popular vote. John Bishop opened the first store. Isaac Bishop succeeded to his father’s business.

The Bishops and their partners were thus the prominent merchants for the first fifty years or more of Granville history. Jonathan Todd and Colonel Lee T. Rowley were also a noted mercantile firm from 1828 to 1840.

The site of Granville was originally covered with a growth of splendid pines.